This Advanced portion of your flight education will build on your knowledge of take offs and landings to push you and the aircraft to the limits. Learning to glide the airplane with no power is an essential tool for every pilot when dealing with the worst case scenario, an engine failure!
What makes this program unique?
Any pilot can land on a paved runway, but in this training module you are going to learn to take off and land on from Grass and Gravel runways with obstacles on the approach and departure ends. The second half of the training focuses on one of the most important lessons of all, dealing with an Engine Failure! You are going to learn how to simultaneously fly the airplane while communicating your emergency over the radio and preparing your passengers for a potentially rough landing!
What you learn:
- How to takeoff from a grass or gravel runway
- How to land on a grass or gravel runway
- How to judge the distance required to takeoff on a short runway
- How to judge the distance required to land on a short runway
- How to calculate obstacle clearance heights for takeoff and landing
- How to climb and descend with sole reference to flight instruments
- How to recover from potentially dangerous situations with sole reference to flight instruments
- How to identify potential situations that could lead to an engine failure
- How to glide the aircraft to a suitable landing area in the event of an engine failure
- How to secure the aircraft and brief passengers for a landing at an unprepared field
At the end of this program you will have an advanced ability to control the aircraft throughout a number of scenarios, both emergency and non-emergency. You will have the experience and confidence to take off and land from grass runways, taking into account obstacles, winds, length and surface conditions. You will be proficient in handling one of the most serious emergencies in aviation, the Engine Failure. Your instrument flying skills will be greatly improving to the point where you can adequately maneuver the airplane when outside visibility unexpectedly turns to zero.
This program requires approximately 45 hours of your time, of which approximately 6 hours are actual flying time with an instructor (Dual), about 7 hours is actual flying by yourself (Solo), 1 hour is spent in the Flight Simulator, 4 hours are spent with an instructor in ground briefings and the remainder is spent studying course manuals that will familiarize you with the information pertinent to the lessons. If you fly twice a week, the program will take approximately 7 weeks to complete. Faster or slower is your choice, we will make a schedule around you!
Average Financial Impact
The costs are on a “pay as you go” basis, meaning at the end of each flight session you only need to pay for that days’ flight and ground time. Based on the Flying Time and Instructor time quoted above, this program can be completed at an average cost of $3000 including HST. You could expect to spend $300 for a given lesson module.
With this training you will be able to:
- Take off and land on short runways
- Take off and land on grass and gravel runways
- Control the airplane in the event of an engine failure
- Glide the aircraft safely to an unprepared landing surface
- Execute precise maneuvers with sole reference to the flight instruments
Due to the one-on-one in-flight training, enrolment in this program is limited and should be booked as soon as possible.
* Completion of Flight Level 3 is a Pre-requisite to this program.